1 pound (500g or Two and a half cups ) castor (super fine) sugar
ź pound (125g or one stick) butter
1 dessert spoon treacle (molasses)
3 dessert spoons golden syrup (alternatively, light corn syrup)
1 tsp vanilla
1 large tin condensed milk
5 or 6 dessert spoons water
1. Place the butter, sugar, treacle, syrup and water into a pan and heat, stirring constantly.
2. Once all the ingredients are well mixed and melted, add the condensed milk slowly, stirring occasionally until it boils.
3. Continue on a slow boil for 15-20 minutes, again stirring occasionally.
4. Test that the toffee is ready by dropping a spoonful into cold water - if it turns solid, it is ready.
5. Pour into a tray, mark out cut into pieces.
6. Wrap in greaseproof paper (vegetable parchment or waxed paper).
7. Store in an air-tight container.
For storage of leftovers and reheating,
please look at the
food safety website.